Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The other day as friend and I were chatting back and forth (texting), She got down on herself as I often do. She made an offhanded comment about her beauty, and all the extra things on her body that didn't used to be there. I have self esteem issues and in doing this contest I hope to just learn to love myself, accept the parts of me I will never change. How to do that? I have no clue. I am on a journey! However, I texted this to her, and I really meant it. I think it applies to us all!!

"We all have stretch marks, some surgery scars, and skin that will never be the same..I think that getting to the point where we realize that all of those things are always going to be a part of us, a part of the story we tell on having babies, health problems and putting others first, part of our life's journey. And more importantly, we need to figure out how to love ourselves because of and in spite of them. That, that would be the best reward I could think of...We are all beautiful, and we all have battle scars. Our husbands love us regardless of how "imperfect" we think our bodies are, we should be able to as well!!!"

I really do hope that we can all learn that beauty does not define who we are, perfection in these bodies is NEVER going to happen and to constantly be seeking it at all cost is irresponsible and the damage could be irreversible. I am so glad to be on this "journey" With all of you. No matter what we accomplish along the way to losing weight, I really hope we can all gain a respect and love for our bodies, for the women we are not only on the outside, but the inside..

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey, did you steal that from Oprah? LOL. Seriously, it was so perfectly said! Very, very true! I don't even know what else to ad to that. We need to continue to remind each other of stuff like this!

Carrie said...

Jee, who was this FRIEND? She must have some real crappy issues!! Haha, thanks for putting it here for me to read and reread!! Love ya

Hollys Hobbies said...

Kristi, its funny you said that! We had this conversation on Monday at 8:00 in the morning. I happened to have the t.v. on when Oprah came on, that very day and was shocked that I was on track with her!! I texted all my girls to turn Oprah on and watch!

Carrie, I didnt know if you wanted me to mention that you were that friend!! And no, you dont have crappy issues, you have all the same issues that we all struggle with every time we look at ourselves in the mirror. I believe we can overcome them, especially with eachother to guide us! Love you too!!

Vicki said...

Thanks for the lovely post... very true and needed.

rochelle said...

So enlightening AND encouraging. You've got your head and heart in the right place for sure.

Kristi said...

Hey! Saw your nice comment you left me. Yeah, we do have some similarities!! It's fun getting to know you also. You live in the SLC area, right? We're planning to come out there in Feb or March. A bunch of us will have to try to get together. I usually try to meet up with Melissa each time I'm there visiting (about 2-3 times a year). My husband's family all lives there.

Kristi said...

5 days since you've last posted, Holly! How's it going??