Sunday, February 24, 2008

Reasons to lose weight

I have read everyone elses blogs about their individual reasons for wanting to be apart of this experience, and I feel like you have already answered the question for me! A lot of what you ladies have said, is exactly how I feel. One of my main reasons, is that I feel like over the last few years, I have not been able to be in control of my own body. I have had so many health issues, no energy, a lot of pain, and I dont like what I see in the mirror. I want my body to be in synch with my age. I am 30 years old and yet every day I feel like my body is betraying me. I dont seem to have the basic energy to do normal things. I feel guilty that I am not a more active part of my kids daily activities. I used to plan such fun activities for them, from scavenger hunts, to picnics at the park. I dont have the energy anymore! I want to not feel self conscious of my body, I dont want to make excuses for myself this year for why I dont want to go to the pool with my family-and when I do, I dont want to have to wear the swim shorts to cover myself up. I want to plat tag when it warms up without falling down from exhaustion after two minutes and giving up my turn. I want to be able to get fit enough to be able to run again, I used to look forward to that part of my day. It made my stress less, I worked out problems I dare say I could never have solved any other way- while my feet pounded the cement. My main goal is to just become healthier. This started out for me as just a contest, a number that I wanted to accomplish on the scale. But it has become so much more for me. I know a lot of you wonder why I am in this contest. You look at me and you think to yourselves, she is already thin, what is she doing? I can see it on your faces and thats ok! My purpose isn't to be a size one, my purpose it to become healthier then I have been the last 4 years and take back control of MY life, of MY destiny to be the best mom and wife and person I can be. There were two very serious health scares during this period where I was so sick I could have easily left this earth. Lying in an ICU bed with blood transfusions dripping into your body because you have lost so much of your own blood that its your only choice, that makes you think a lot about your life, about your future. This is my chance to make sure that I allow every opportunity for my body to be as strong as it can be. So thats it, thats my reason. I appreciate all of your support in helping me accomplish this chapter in my life!

10 comments:

Patty said...

Well I do think you look great, but you need to go by how you feel. My boss at the gym uses a term she calls skinny/fat. That is someone that doesn't look fat, but they have no aerobic endurance, and they have a high body fat percentage. It seems like you felt something similar to that. It sounds like you have had some scary health problems. I hope that what you are working toward now prevents more problems like that in the future. You are doing great!

Hollys Hobbies said...

Thanks Patty, I appreciate that. I wish I could post on your Blog, but for some reason my computer still logs me completely off whenever I try to do the word verification. So I am sorry, I hope you are doing great!

Patty said...

I don't know what the deal is with my web site. Nobody else has said they have a problem. I understand though why you haven't commented.

Della Hill said...

Hey Holly,
I can totally empathize with the lack of energy. I have been there.
Losing weight and getting in better shape aerobically will definitely help with that, but make sure you are taking vitamins.
Having your body go through health crises and ordeals -from pregnancy and nursing (5 times) to a hysterectomy, to being in ICU getting blood transfusions- really drains your body of the important nutrients that are normally stored up for daily use.
When your body runs out of those nutrient stockpiles it messes up your whole system.
Your body kind of goes on back-up-power. It lowers your metabolism, and gets stingy with the nutrients you do have so you have no energy.
The best thing you can do is eat healthy foods, exercise anyway, (even though it's hard when you don't have energy), and TAKE VITAMINS.
Eventually your body will get the nutrients back and retrain itself to be functioning healthy again.
If you are not taking vitamins now, get a good prenatal vitamin or find a combination you like. I found a daily vitamin packet at Costco that gave me a ton of energy. But don't take it on an empty stomach.
I hope that helps. Good luck getting your body, energy and life back.
-Della

Carrie said...

Well, we needed another step in our lifes to go through together didn't we? Why not getting healthy, you go girl, lets run together when we get back there! Love ya

Hollys Hobbies said...

Della, I am not sure why, but whenever I try to go to the comment section of your blog so far today, it sends me an error code...My poor computer needs to just be out down! Anyways, if you read this, thanks for the advice! I do have to force myself to exercise, and I do feel better when I do. What was the name of the vitamin you took? I could always use more nutrients. I definately agree with you about my body being worn down. Remember how much energy we had when we were teenagers, and little kids as well? I dont think I could even go dancing without passing out LOL! I am really excited about getting healthy again, and I cant wait to rebuild my energy supply...

Della Hill said...

Holly,
It's the Kirkland brand Daily Vitamin Pack. It comes in a box instead of a bottle. There are 100 packets in the box which each contain 5 tablets and 2 softgels.
There are way more vitamins in there than even the best prenatals.
But like I said, don't take it on an empty stomach or it will make you sick.
One packet a day will give you more energy than you know what to do with.
I took those regularly for about 6 months and my energy levels started returning to normal again, even when I didn't take them.
I don't take them daily anymore, but I do when I remember to.
Maybe this could be product pick of the week. What do you think?
They are only available at Costco

Hollys Hobbies said...

Della, definately product of the week material! I really appreciate your help and your support and your posts, they really give me insight! It's funny, I was thinking today after I read your comment that when we were teenagers you always used to say that you couldnt have made it without me, I always seemed to be the strong, knowledgeable one. Now I really look to you, total role reversal! I really admire the way you handle things. So I guess, just thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Holly, I think those are great reasons! I can now say that I like to exercise (although it's not fun), I like how it makes me feel!

Della Hill said...

Holly,
Thanks for saying that.
It made me think "Ohh, how shweet", and (1,2,3) "Tender".
I'm glad I can return the favor.
I really meant it when I said I couldn't have made it with out you. My teen years were rough. You saved me from untold depression. (I barely made it as it was).
I miss you. :(
-Della