Friday, January 25, 2008

what do you think?

There's this new show on cable called "How To Look Good Naked" with that Carson guy from Queer eye for the straight guy. Anyways, it takes these women who have issues with their bodies, and proves to them that every one of us has a kawonkis view of our bodies. He asks what they feel their worst parts are while he makes them stand in a 360 mirror in their bra's and panties. This is filmed in a large city, I think New York, and at the start of the show he puts their pic, the one of them in their unmentionables, up on the side of this like 15 story building and he has passerby's comment-both sexes on this body. He then has the woman go into a room with REAL sized beautiful women who are all lined up also in undies. He asks them to place themselves in this line-up where thay believe themselves to be according to size of this body part they feel is too large, for instance one was a butt. She felt her behind was just enormous! So all these ladies turn around and all she has to do is stand in the place she believes her butt size falls next. Of course she put herself in the largest spot! Then Carson points out, very lovingly, that she actually has the smallest butt-she had added like 6 inches to her behind! Every one of these women has a view of herself that is NOT correct. Then after a mini makeover, new unders he tells them its time for a photo shoot, and the surprise they have no idea about is that they get to do it naked! They have these silk peces draped in all the right places, but then they put the naked pic up on the same building and this time the woman in question has to ask passerbys if they think she looks good naked! I love this show. First because it has real shaped women on it, second, it proves that we all have untrue views of ourselves, third, it opened my eyes to the fact that maybe I am not seeing myself the way others see it and that I should see myself for more than what shape I am. There was an interesting question posed on one show though. Who is harder on women being judged for their bodies, men or other women? It's women! It's true, be honest with yourself. We have the opportunity to impact one another and break the horrible cycle of everything from low self esteem, eating disorders, suicide. We have the power in our reach and we abuse it by being to harsh on ourselves and eachother. I am so glad for this opportunity to be a part of this group, we support eachother, and I don't even know half of you-but I appreciate all of you! This show is on Fridays, so tonight-check your local listings, it's a good one ladies!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SO want to watch it. I had no idea about it until Tammy posted it on her blog but it looks soo good and I KNOW I would need to watch it!

Hollys Hobbies said...

Oh I will have to go look at Tammy's blog, I had no idea she had posted about it-no I feel stupid!

Carrie and Karl said...

That looks like an interesting show. I'll have to look for it.

Lorie said...

I watched it was interesting. I saw that Tammy posted about it too.

Della Hill said...

I saw the pre-views and thought it looked good.
I also think Carson rocks. I would love to go clothes shopping with him.
I agree that women are way too hard on ourselves and each other.
We find fault with every inch of ourselves and take ourselves to trial, as though having a natural human body makes us less of a person.
If we don't like another woman it's easiest to find fault with a physical feature, but when the woman is a good friend it is so easy to see past physical faults that you start to not even notice them.
On men- I think men love women. Period. Most men love looking at women regardless of body style. A chunky chic is just as much fun to see naked as a skinny chic. In fact, her boobs are probably bigger.
And a man who will criticize the body of a woman who gave birth to his child is just an @$$hole.
Love your bodies, ladies. Care for them, make them better if you can, but your body is just one more thing about you that makes you individual and unique.
Be proud of you.
That's my 2 cents.
-Della

Hollys Hobbies said...

AMEN SISTA!!! You said exactly what I hope girls will get out of that show. Thanks, that was more than 2 cents, that was like a golden dollar =)!

Anonymous said...

Hmm sounds interesting!! I was going to watch it, but John was here and he would have none of that!! :) Maybe later.