Monday, August 11, 2008

"Crunchy Dancing"

My best friend since I was 7 years old came back to town from where she and her husband and 2 sons are living in Virginia Beach Virginia, doing foster care for troubled boys. It has been 3 years since I saw her briefly,, and even longer since I saw her husband Chris and their wonderful boys CJ and Mark. It has been so incredible visiting with them!! On Saturday we got together along with her sis Carrie and Carries hubby and decided to go out to eat and then go Country Dancing. We had a while to wait to eat so we spent some time in the electronic store next store and Della and Carrie schooled me in the art of "world of warcraft". We ate at Good Wood BBQ, the food was really awesome. I suggest the pulled pork =). We enjoyed some great conversation and debate as we watched the olympics they had playing on the large television, we mostly watched the womens volleyball, well beach volleyball. We were super stuffed afterwards!! We headed to the armory in Provo and caught the last 15 minutes or so of the instruction before the dance started. It was SOOO much fun!!! I have to say that a lot of the steps now elude me. See, Tim and I went EVERY weekend when we were engaged, newly married and really up until we got preggers with Ty. We were awesome back in the day, we even did lifts. Not so much anymore! Della made a good point about a lot of the steps being in the muscle memory though. There was a thunderstorm going on, they had all the doors open and these massive fans blowing to cool everyone off. The back doors led out to the provo skate park, ramps and tunnels and it was deserted, so Tim and I watched the lightening and felt the sprinkle of the small raindrops and danced all by ourselves on a ramp. It was really romantic!!
I did a couple of line dances, "boot-scoot'n'boogie" and "fireman", but all the others were newer than 13 years, so I didnt know how to do them. Tim and I sat those out and we had fun watching everyone else do them. We attempted to two-step and waltz, but mostly we just held eachother and mooched in the corner of the armory during slow songs =).. We also had a lot of fun analizing all the people who were there. This one guy was a freak, he only danced during the line dances, but he was doing way more than your average person. Those of you who dont know about line dancing, you learn the steps then you add your own pizazz and personality to them. Well, this guy was freaking out and doing the line dances on speed!! Then there was this other guy who was content looking at every female that walked through the door with hopeful eyes, but that was kinda the sad point, he looked desperate! I doubt he hooked up with anyone, poor guy LOL! At one point, Tim amd I were walking out onto the floor after taking a break and a guy grabbed my hand and about drug me out onto the floor before he realized I was already attached to somebody!
Carrie and her love got tired about 10:30 or so and had early church so they took off, but we stayed and danced the very last dance, then at midnight it was over. We had so much fun that we didnt want the night to end, so Tim, Chris, Della and I all hopped into the car and drove to Sonic for icecream. We ended up catching up and talking and laughing until about 2 a.m. when we decided we'd finally better go-we were afraid that Sonic was going to kick us off their benches!
Sunday we were invited to Della's parents house for a birthday celebration-Della turns 31 on the 14th. Chris used to work in a restaraunt and is a fabulous chef, he cooked her favorite meal, chicken carbonna I believe (?) with garlic toast, salad, pink and orange "fluffy stuff" and a really yummy punch. I made her wear a tiara and a boa I had brought as part of her gift, there were a lot of people there and it was a lot of fun. We stayed past 9 and the kids were really upset to leave because they had made some fun friends.
So that was our fun weekend. Thanks to Della and Chris for inviting us to hang out!! We had a blast and we cant wait to come and visit you guys in Virginia!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

That sounds fun! Terry and I attempted to go dancing not to long ago and realized that it just isn't the same anymore either! I guess we just change huh? Glad you had such a good time!

Della Hill said...

I had a great time too!
That whole trip was awesome and it was a blast to see you.
My heart is torn between my two homes.
My mother in law made the point to me that we could do what we do in St. George too. Believe me. I pondered that one for a while.
Alas, God says I'm supposed to stay in VA for now.
Who am I to argue?
I really do miss you.
-Della

Jordan said...

The last time I went to a country dance was before my mission. I ended up (unwillingly) spending the evening with a guy that decided he wanted to be my financial counselor. He also rejected his last girlfriend because she wanted to work after getting married and having kids. I didn't miss it.