Monday, January 7, 2008

So I am off!

WOW! I didn't realize how much I would change things around for this challenge. I was the one who always had an aerobics class all through high school, then ran 5 miles every day until I got pregnant with my son who is now 10 1/2 because it was doctor ordered that I stay inactive. That was so hard, then there were 4 more kids to follow, and as I could have exercised in between babies, I thought "what the heck, it's gonna get ruined with the next pregnancy anyways, right?" So the last 3 1/2 years since my last baby was born I have had some pretty serious health issues to deal with and I cant help to wonder that if I had actually been in shape and healthy, would these have been a problem, or would they have been less traumatic on my body? hind sight is 20/20 huh? so I am so excited, no thrilled is more the word, to be able to get back to exercising! I do have to say that a decade of near inactivity is defineately visible everywhere and you all get to see the total ugliness of all of me, but I know the end result will be great.

So one of the first things I started doing last week was eating three meals a day. those of you who know me know this in itself is an incredible feat! it has been pretty hard too, since my ulcer ruptured and I developed the H-pilori, eating is almost an after thought in my day. Eating is actually painful if I do it more than once. So triplying my daily meal was really hard. But I know that my metabolism has nearly ceased to work at all and I also know the only way to rev it up is to retrain it with food. Breakfast consists of a low fat yoplait yogurt, 1 piece of whole wheat toast with raspberry jam and about 6 oz. of 2% milk. lunch comes too quickly but I eat again anyhow.. Lunch has so far been a ham sandwich with tomato on whole wheat, and I am actually measuring out the mayo! then I may or may not have the 11 barb-qued chips and I am now drinking crystal light. Dinner is whatever we are having, but with smaller portions.

Next I admitted to myself that I am addicted to cherry coke.. This is a sacrifice that hurts to give up. I now drink almost all water or crystal light, which you guys is really really good! I bought some coke zero for when I have those cravings I cant control, it has zero calories and zero fat and I was weary when I bought it, but I gotta tell you, its pretty darn good too.

Next, I realized that in order for me to actually exercise, I will need to do it before kids wake up, or after they are in bed. Research shows that a work out is more energizing and beneficial when done in the morning. So that meant I had to rearrange my sleeping habits. To bed earlier and awake earlier by one hour. Girls, I love my sleep! And I may love my late night rituals just as much! Beauty is pain....

And now to my exercising. I am too poor right now to join a gym. This has to wait until tax returns, so I have to use creativity for the next month or month and a half. I am doing a lot of toning exercises for the inner and outer thighs, the butt, the back (nothing says sexy like a toned back girls!), the tummy, the chest(I will be sad to lose the twins =( ), and of course the relief society arms. I know I need cardio and I am salivating at the thought of running again. I remember that as my stress relief, theres nothing like feeling your feet pound the pavement and with it all your stress disappearing with each step. But I will defineately have to work up to the 5 miles a day. BYU did a study that proved that cardio done before toning gives you more of a benefit than the other way around, so I am looking at what I can do for cardio indoors. Maybe a dvd or video?

Well thats all for now. I will update again later. Thanks for listening girls!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Holly you for sure sound like you are motivated and on your way!

Becky said...

Just reading your blog got me all re-motivated. Thanks Holly.

Tammy said...

WOW, you've got a plan girl! Way to go! I'll be rootin for ya!

Lorie said...

Yes you do got a plan. I'm Lorie and I know Tammy and Becky and I am trying to lose too! Come visit me when you get a chance.
http://whoareyoudiet.blogspot.com/
I plan on stopping by to cheer you on! Good Luck!